Autism is a complex condition, with no clear cause or treatment. Around one person in every hundred is thought to have autism, ranging from prisoners to PhD students.
A life less ordinary
NPC’s report, A life less ordinary, explores the issues surrounding autism and how it affects people’s lives.
Did you know?
- 4 out of 10 children with autism have no friends.
- Only 6% of adults with autism are in full-time employment.
The report highlights areas where donors can make the biggest difference, including:
- Research into what causes autism, and ways to improve the lives of people with the condition
- Helping children learn skills to make the transition from school to adulthood easier
- Supporting adults with normal and high IQs, who often have trouble fitting into normal services, but are rarely eligible for specialist help, and
- Giving parents and people with autism practical support and advice to help them fight for the services they are entitled to.
One autism helpLine told us about a call where the telephone operator could hear a wailing in the background, like a fire alarm. The caller told them “That’s my son, he’s been making that noise for 72 hours. I didn’t know who else to call”.
Adrian Fradd, report author