South Africa has more people with HIV and AIDS than any other country in the world. Promises of increased government provision in the future, such as a national programme of antiretroviral drugs, are neither certain nor imminent.
Rhetoric to action
Rhetoric to action is a guide for donors considering funding projects for South Africans whose lives are being destroyed by HIV and AIDS.
Did you know?
- 4.8 million South Africans, 860,000 of them children under 15, are infected with HIV.
- There are over 1 million children orphaned by AIDS in South Africa
The report illustrates ways that donors can help, including:
- education about the importance of testing and using condoms to prevent infection
- counselling and prevention of other illnesses for people infected with HIV
- supporting palliative care, memory boxes and antiretrovirals for people with AIDS.
NPC has also published reports on HIV/AIDS in Central Africa and an Overview of the global context.
It struck me that little things made a big difference to the families I met – it didn’t take much to give them hope and a better life.