About this event
This workshop will walk you through NPC’s approach to effective grant-making: from identifying and learning about issue areas, planning your approach, finding and funding great charities, and learning and improving.
The training will help you to
- Understand the stages of effective grant-making and how these can apply to your giving.
- Reflect on your past giving, the type of funding you want to give, the resources you have to offer, and what you want to achieve through your giving.
- Think about different options for sourcing new charities, and how to assess which might be right for you.
- Understand how NPC’s charity analysis framework can help you choose more effective charities to fund, find it easier to accept or reject funding applications, and be armed with useful and probing questions to ask on charity visits or calls.
- Learn from your grant-making and explore how you can use this learning to make your giving more effective.
With no more than 15 participants, the workshop will be interactive and hands-on, using practical examples to help you make more efficient funding decisions.
Who will this event help?
The seminar is relevant for those just starting out in grant-making or for those who want to think more critically about their funding approach. This could include grants officers, philanthropists, trustees, corporate giving staff, or others with strategic responsibilities.
The training is delivered by Sarah Denselow; Principal: Effective Philanthropy. Our consultants are experts in supporting foundations, corporates and individual philanthropists in designing, implementing and assessing their giving.
A limited number of bursary places are available for small charities, ethnic minority charities of all sizes and ethnic minority representatives from charities of all sizes. Bursary spaces are available on a first come, first served basis. Email us to apply for our bursary places.
We are also actively working to improve the accessibility of our online and in-person events. As part of our commitment, for all online events we use live closed captions and upload the recordings to YouTube which has the capability to select subtitles. For in-person events we strive to use accessible venues. If you have any additional accessibility requirements that we can assist with, please email us at Events@thinkNPC.org.
Want to be a part of other Leading Impact events?
This event is part of our Leading Impact series of seminars, if you would like to access more events like this one, we welcome you to join us for ‘Theory of change for funders’, another NPC event on 30 March 2023.
Meet your trainers
More than grants collection: Pushing the boundaries of funding
On 14 December 2017.
As a country we face huge challenges. These challenges present questions for everyone who funds charities. It’s time to ask whether charitable foundations in the UK are doing enough—and are doing the right things—to support the voluntary and community sector.
What makes a good charity? NPC’s guide to charity analysis
On 29 September 2016.
NPC's step-by-step guide to charity analysis, outlining our tried and tested approach which focuses on the key characteristics we believe are common to all effective charities.
In pursuit of deep impact and market-rate returns
On 29 April 2018.
How the KL Felicitas Foundation's impact investing portfolio balances social impact with financial return.