NPC’s report, Grey matters, highlights the challenges many older people are facing in deprived communities today. While many older people enjoy an active and happy retirement – volunteering or taking educational courses – for many of the poorest older people in the UK, these things are out of reach.
Did you know?
- Over one fifth of the UK population is over 60.
- Ageism and people’s attitudes to themselves and their age can alter life expectancy by as much as seven years.
The report highlights areas donors should consider funding including:
- building links between younger and older members of communities
- promoting volunteering opportunties, to recognise the valuable contribution that older people can make to society
- helping older people to live independent and healthy lives, whether through leisure activities or community centres where they can meet other people and socialise.
A 104-year-old volunteer from one charity knitted clothes for premature babies. She designed a new style of bonnet for these babies with a hole in the top so doctors could take the babies’ pulse on the top of their heads.