Why work at NPC?
Be part of our mission
As a non-profit think tank and consultancy, our mission is to help charities, funders, and policy makers to maximise the positive impact that they have for the people and communities they serve. NPC is a leader within the charity sector, and we are looking for people who share our passion and determination for delivering social change.
We value honesty and integrity and are not afraid to ask the difficult questions. We create, develop, and innovate new ideas and solutions that are grounded in evidence. We celebrate differences and the diversity of thought they bring, and we are committed to encouraging diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
Read about our diversity, equity & inclusion policy, environmental policy, and other polices
Enjoy a healthy work life balance
Our people drive our impact. That’s why we take a flexible approach to how and where we work. Within reason colleagues are free to shape their work schedule to fit their needs through hybrid working with flexible hours. This allows us to attract people from different backgrounds and life stages.
We encourage our team to make the most of working from home or in the office, so that everyone can benefit from the best of both worlds. We hold regular socials in the office to give our team a chance to unwind and get to know each other.
At NPC, we encourage a culture which prioritises our team’s wellbeing. We offer 25 days paid annual leave as well as traditionally offering our staff three days of paid leave between Christmas and New Year to ensure everyone has the time to relax, recharge, and spend time with family and friends. It is also important to us that we recognise staff who celebrate other religious holidays, so we also offer up to 3 days of additional paid leave for these.
Our family policies aim to support our team to care for the most important people in their lives. We understand that people have caring responsibilities, so we have additional arrangements such as time off for emergency care for dependents and extra flexibility for carers of children with additional needs.
In addition to statutory leave, NPC provides enhanced policies for Maternity, Paternity and Adoptive leave, as well as offering paid leave for Antenatal and Adoptive appointments. Our family policies also cover IVF and surrogacy. How much you are paid for family leave depends upon how long you’ve worked for NPC.
Continue your professional development
We have a broad range of expertise at NPC with opportunities for development whether you’re just starting your career or joining in a more senior role. We strive to give colleagues the opportunities to learn and develop throughout their time with us through a combination of on-the-job learning, peer learning, and classroom learning. Once you’ve worked here for more than a year, we also offer up to five days paid study leave and tuition fee loans to support further studies relevant to your work.
Our work at NPC covers a great breadth of topics, so we encourage everyone to explore these opportunities, pursue areas of interests, and take charge of their own development journey. You’ll also get to attend our own sector-leading events such as NPC Ignites which is a great way to stay up to date with the latest thinking in the charity sector.
We offer tutor-led training and external events to develop skills and knowledge. Our peer-led learning sessions allow staff to share useful information and experience. Just one example is our DEI working group which meets regularly to share ideas and identify how we can continuously improve. Running a session lets you hone your presentation skills in a supportive environment.
As an organisation driven by social impact, we offer paid volunteering leave to give you the chance to give back to charities that are important to you, as well as gaining experience in the process.
NPC staff go on to do exciting things. Our alumni network means you’ll get to meet many of them at our annual drinks. And when you decide to move on too, you can choose to keep in touch with us and your former colleagues in the same way.
Full list of benefits
- Flexible working hours. We understand that 9–5.30 doesn’t work for everyone and that’s why we just ask staff to complete their hours any time between 7am and 7pm. We’ll try to balance your preferred way of working with our client commitments and business needs.
- 25 days annual leave, traditionally plus 3 days between Christmas and New Year, and 3 days for other religious holidays.
- 2.5 days paid volunteering leave, plus an additional 5 days of unpaid volunteering leave.
- Additional special leave for team members who have worked at NPC for more than 2 years (unpaid). Staff are entitled to 5 days of special leave per year of service up to a maximum of 20 days.
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Adoptive benefits over and above statutory entitlement.
- Additional flexibility for parents of children with additional needs and for providing emergency care for dependents.
- Pension plan. NPC will contribute at a rate of 3.5% with employees also required to contribute 3.5%. Once you’ve passed your 6-month probation, NPC contributes at a rate of 6.5% and employees contribute at a rate of 3.5%.
- Life cover and additional support such as counselling through our Employee Assistant Programme.
- Continued professional development, our approach is 70% on-the-job, 20% peer learning, and 10% classroom learning.
- Access to our Learning Hub and our Wellbeing Hub.
- Interest-free loans to contribute to course fees along with up to 5 days of paid study leave per year for team members who have worked at NPC for over a year.
- Interest free season ticket loan for commuting by train.
- ‘Bike 2 Work’ scheme, a manageable and cheaper way of acquiring a bike for your commute to work.
- Payroll Giving to donate tax-effectively.
If you would like further information, our team are on-hand to answer any questions on benefits of particular interest to you. Please email: recruitment@thinkNPC.org.