NPC’s report aims to increase people’s understanding of the issues that can lead to child abuse and to show donors how they can help stop it.
Did you know?
- It is estimated that at least 80,000 children are abused each year, involving emotional, physical, sexual abuse or neglect.
- Around half of all people receiving mental health services report abuse as children.
Donors can choose a number of different approaches to help stop child abuse, as well as helping to support people who have been abused as children. These approaches include:
- teaching children, from pre-school age to teenagers, how to identify abuse and to protect themselves;
- treating abusers to help them stop abusing; and
- protecting vulnerable teenagers living away from home who are being sexually exploited or are at risk of exploitation.
A helpline worker told me about a child who had called us asking about French lessons. The reason she wanted to learn French was that she was being so badly bullied she had decided her only option was to run away to France.
Tris Lumley, report author