NPC’s report tells donors how to spot a good mentoring programme and explores which approaches work well and which don’t.
Did you know?
- Poorly-run mentoring schemes can end up doing more harm than good. Success rests largely on building a stable and responsible relationship between the mentor and mentee
- Ernest Hemingway and Leonardo Da Vinci were both famous figures with mentors.
The report highlights effective mentoring schemes, that include:
- investment in training and support for the mentors
- regular contact between mentor and mentee over a sustained period of time, and
- mentors working with the families of their mentees.
In my last school I was really, really bad and I got excluded four times … I normally meet Janine every Tuesday or Wednesday or Monday to talk to see what I have done at school … Mentors help you control your temper and they take you out places and it helps you in school.