NPC’s report, The hidden assassin, explores the extent of the disease in Britain, and looks at the various interventions to treat and support cancer patients.
Did you know?
- Cancer accounts for one in four of all deaths in the UK.
- Despite the number of people being diagnosed with cancer rising over the last 25 years, less people now die from the disease. In the last quarter of a century mortality rates have dropped by 12%.
The report highlights a number of areas donors could consider funding, including:
- Therapies to combat the physically demanding nature of cancer treatments, including massage, art therapy and spiritual support
- Lifestyle courses on how to help live with cancer and counselling and drop-in support centres for patients and families
- Information, including publications and helplines for people living with cancer and their families and carers.
Charities do absolutely essential work providing emotional support, on top of the medical care.