What is it about?
There is growing demand from wealthy individuals for advice and support around their philanthropy, driven by a trend towards more strategic and planned giving. Private client advisors are in an ideal position to reach and advise existing and potential philanthropists. But in many cases, a significant opportunity is being missed—only a small number of advisors are proactively raising the issue with clients.
NPC, in association with the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners’ (STEP) Philanthropy Advisors Special Interest Group, is offering this training course in the essential elements of philanthropy advice to enable trusted advisors to better serve their high-net-worth clients. With a group size of no more than 16, the workshop will be interactive and hands-on. Refreshments will be provided.
The training will help you to:
- Understand the benefits of discussing philanthropy and the role of the trusted advisor.
- Learn about the philanthropy landscape in the UK: key trends and concepts such as social investment, venture philanthropy and international giving, and key players within the sector so you can effectively guide your clients to the relevant resources.
- Build your confidence to raise the issues with clients: identify client needs and different types of advice and support.
- Advise clients on how to start a foundation: setting objectives, finding focus areas, sourcing and selecting charities, and monitoring grants.
- Understand how different families and individuals approach their giving and the variety of challenges they may face.
- Network with other advisors with an interest in philanthropy.
Who should attend?
This training is for all advisors to high-net-worth clients, including private bankers, private client lawyers, multi-family offices, accountants, IFAs and any other trusted advisor to wealthy individuals and their families. It will contribute 3.5 hours towards your structured STEP CPD requirement. STEP members are also eligible for a discount.
Who delivers the training?
The training will be carried out by senior members of NPC’s funder consulting team. NPC has extensive experience working with a whole range of clients (individuals, family foundations, corporates and grant-making trusts) to ensure they get the most out of their philanthropy, providing the expertise of our individual consultants alongside the knowledge of charities and social issues that our research brings. We have trained over 150 advisors so far.
Our report on how to stimulate the provision and take up of philanthropy advice, The business of philanthropy, and the results of a philanthropy survey, Family Philanthropy, provide background to some of the issues up for discussion. Our guide to social investment for funders, Best to invest?, and research into donor motivations, Money for good UK, might also be of interest.
We can also come to you
If you would like to send several staff members to this workshop, it could be cheaper and more effective to have a workshop tailored specifically for your charity. To find out more, please contact Jessica Nicholls at Jessica.nicholls@thinkNPC.org.
Excellent half day. Found it very useful and opened up a lot of questions in my own mind. Very well presented.
comment from previous delegate
Follow us on Twitter using #NPCtraining