‘A vision without a plan is just a dream. A plan without a vision is just drudgery. But a vision with a plan can change the world.’
Strategy is all about purpose. It helps you focus on the things you care about, make better decisions, and can help guide charitable giving and enhance social impact.
As the Covid-19 crisis continues to unfold, it will be more important than ever for charities and funders to adapt their strategies to support the recovery of the communities they work with and the causes they support. The far reaching impact of the pandemic also highlights the need for emergent, adaptive strategies that can build resilience in the sector, beyond the current crisis.
We tailor our support to the charities and funders we work with, therefore each of our packages has a bespoke budget, dependent on the needs of the organisation. Please get in touch with our Strategy Principal, Charlotte Lamb at Charlotte.Lamb@thinkNPC.org, if you would like to discuss any of these options for support.
NPC has long supported charities and funders through an end to end strategy development process. We can help you review your theory of change, navigate strategic decisions, capture learning, prioritise services, and understand your capabilities in a changing environment. Since the Covid-19 crisis, we have adapted our strategy support and can offer shorter, more flexible packages of support to charities and funders.
We can help you:
- Review your Theory of Change—or develop a new one—in light of the Covid-19 crisis. Perhaps you have a new target group or new outcomes to consider? NPC can facilitate this process virtually, using Miro.
- Understand your changing environment—and identify current opportunities and threats. NPC can use horizon scanning and stakeholder mapping techniques to help you adapt your response, collaborate with others, and prioritise those who need your help most.
- Navigate strategic decisions via critical friend support. Using our expertise and independent viewpoint, we can facilitate difficult conversations and help you navigate the challenging decisions you will need to make in order to adapt your strategy in response to Covid-19.
- Capture what you are learning and use this to inform your strategy. We can help you consider what data you will need to continue, start and stop collecting throughout your response in order to make good decisions down the line. We can help you develop a framework for systematic capture of learning—and help you think through how you might use what you learn to adapt.
- Run a ‘health check’ on your internal resources and capabilities. We can use our ‘What Makes a Good Charity’ framework to evaluate the health of your charity post Covid-19, and help you to develop a plan to addresses weaknesses and employ strengths.
- Consolidate and prioritise services where needed. Many charities may face difficult choices about the continuation of certain services. We can help you prioritise based on impact, and help you to think through the key considerations when managing the consolidation or winding down of services.
- Make your charitable funding go further. Many funders are rethinking their priorities and processes in light of the Covid-19 crisis. We can support you to design your charitable giving in a way that enables your grantees to deliver the most for the people and the communities they work with in these challenging times.
Featured tools and resources for strategy
Without strategy, charities and social enterprises will struggle to create impact. This guidance shares how NPC approaches strategy development and includes our strategy triangle, which has been specially tailored for the charity sector.
Virtual event – Leading with an agile strategy: How to keep a strategy relevant in a changing environment
This seminar will outline methods for developing more agile strategies for programmes and organisations.
‘A vision without a plan is just a dream. A plan without a vision is just drudgery. But a vision with a plan can change the world.’ We've updated of our free guide to charity strategy with some fresh thinking. Here Sally Bagwell introduces our approach and outlines some key principles for developing a strategy.
NPC’s briefing paper for trustees following our seminar on charity strategy.
NPC's step-by-step guide to charity analysis, outlining our tried and tested approach which focuses on the key characteristics we believe are common to all effective charities.
NPC’s comprehensive and thoughtful assessment helped management and trustees to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Society, and to identify future actions. The process was constructive, and we have since used the team again to support us in developing our theory of change.